Rotimi Amaechi, ex-governor of Rivers state, was finally screened as a minister for President Muhammadu Buhari government.
Rotimi Amaechi during the screening at the Senate.
Amaechi was led into the chamber at about 1.38pm by Chairman of his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC), Chief Odigie Oyegun and Speacial Adviser to the President on National a$$embly (Senate), Sen. Ita Enang.
After responding to questions from about eight All Progressives Congress senators for about 50 minutes, the ministerial nominee was finally allowed to take his leave.
However, PDP caucus in the Senate agreed not to ask Amaechi any question as a result of the petitions pending against his nomination.
Ex-governor’s name had been omitted from screening several times mainly owing to “internal politics” and the failure of the senate committee on ethics, privileges and public petitions to give its review on a probe of him.
Check out below top quotes of Amaechi during the screening:
1. “We must improve on the Social Rights of the people; if you have peace you’ll have investors.”
2. “I have never collected bribe in my life.”
3. “If they send a girl to you to do something for her and you sleep with the girl, you are corrupt.”
4. “Corruption is difficult to define.”
5. “If we keep to rule of law and keep away impunity, government will function.”
7. “I was born to fight for my rights.”
8. “Whether I become minister or not, it will be on record that I once attend the Senate screening.”
In the end, Amaechi left the chamber to shouts of ‘We don win’ by his numerous supporters in the lobby of the Senate.
20 ministerial nominees have been screened since the exercise started two weeks ago.